An EAN-8 number contains 7 digits of message plus 1 check digit. The first two or three digits identify the numbering authority; the remaining 4 or 5 digits identify the product. You must apply the EAN-8 number separately from the numbering agency responsible for your country or region.
1. From the right to left, start with odd position, assign the odd/even position to each digit.
2. Sum all digits in odd position and multiply the result by 3.
3. Sum all digits in even position.
4. Sum the results of step 3 and step 4.
5. Divide the result of step 4 by 10. The check digit is the number which adds the remainder to 10.
1. Start guard bars, always with a pattern bar+space+bar.
2. Two number system characters, encoded with character set A.
3. The following two characters, encoded with character set A.
4. Center guard bars, with a pattern space+bar+space+bar+space.
5. Last three characters, encoded in character set C.
6. Stop guard bars, always with a pattern bar+space+bar.